Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Corita Kent for Class

            Our Studio Problems class was commandeered last night to create hanging banners to accompany the upcoming show at the CSUN gallery, Passion for the Possible: The Work of Sister Corita. Despite my most earnest intentions to be glum I had a good time struggling to realize an image that reflected the spirit and intent of the artist while trying to complete it in two hours. I was fortunate to be teamed with Jahaira Duarte and Ashley Barriga, both of them Graphic Design majors who worked out the type and the general composition.

            I am so ever jaded to the experience of painting as an expressive medium for myself but it turned out to be revelatory and reassuring in the way the project illustrated the mechanical underpinnings of Corita Kent’s aphorisms as art imagery. That I was still able to lay paint following the sign painting experience from my early days of art ed provided some sense of comfort.


            The banners will be installed on the exterior of the gallery wall in the next couple days. I have a printmaking class at HOLA (http://heartofla.org/ ) this Saturday (10:30 – 12:30), after that I’ll be dashing up to Northridge for the opening and screen printing session.


No comments:

Studio

Studio
This has been my life for the last month and a half.