Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Yes, I Will Have Another Piece of Humble Pie Please

My Studio Problems is presenting some frustrating problems and these are dredging up some horrific elementary school memories I hoped to have suppressed. One issue is the number of class exercises that I cannot organize and pick off with any success, but it seems as if many others in the class are in the same boat of confusion as myself. 

                                             "C" level work.
                                            My hearts before I screw them up.

There is a critical element that confounds and proves unavoidable, the crappy construction paper and awful art materials that have to be used to create these treasures. The concepts behind these lessons are vital to create effective and cohesive art lesson plans but using these materials and rediscovering their woeful inadequacies reminds me of my earliest school projects. 
I remember hating art projects to the point where I would do them as quickly as possible, or find some alternate way to do the assignment. This would lead to praise from the teachers and getting my ass kicked at recess. I never took art after the sixth grade, drawing only for myself until I stumbled into an art class in college.
Intentions aside, there are alternatives to the materials presented in formative school years. My wife receives supplies from parent groups and uses a portion of her alotted budget for materials that can endure mistakes and efforts to correct them. It is necessary for the motivated instructor to reach out to groups, associations, the district office or whoever has the good stuff.
Meanwhile I return to my sad little efforts. Maybe I can iron them or lay some sizing on before using watercolor. Its more likely that I will use some substitution to regain some control.

No comments:

Studio

Studio
This has been my life for the last month and a half.