Saturday, July 16, 2011


A trip to the California Plaza yielded a visceral explosion of the senses that I had not experienced for far too long. A dear friend’s suggestion prompted me to leave my studio cocoon and make the drive to the our city center. Seun Kuti (son of Fela Kuti) leading his father’s band, Egypt 80, courtesy of KCRW and a couple of other sponsors. I have been to performances at this venue before, but these were always staid presentations. The throng of fans raised a significant murmur as they awaited the performance. The music delivered on its promise and the audience responded exuberantly.




A concert can be fun on its own, but tonight’s event was made exquisitely perfect because of the friend who invited me and the others found at the venue. The night was filled with heady discussion of art, social behaviors, creativity, processes and aspirations. Personal accounts added poignancy and strengthened long held bonds. All this transpired with a feverish soundtrack backing the scene. Connections are reinforced by revealing desires and this helps to expunge negative or destructive motives. Creative batteries were charged in my case, especially with the one on one interface of talented artists. A personal need to constantly make new and challenging art is a desire to seek out a catharsis.

The evening continued after the concert at the posh loft of a past student of mine in an historic downtown building. This person received her degree from Occidental College with honors in art but did her printing at Pasadena City College. Her graduate portfolio was exquisitely done and truly gave me a boost. The evening ended with the closest of friends and intimate discussions of the essence of our existence and creative possibilities.



I sadly had to go home eventually, although without an ounce of sleep in me. Once home, it was straight to the darkened studio to shuffle papers and prepare materials. I am now sitting in a cloud of fixative trying to finish a poor write up of a uniquely memorable evening. The sun is barely up and I fear today will pale against last nights experiences.

No comments:

Studio

Studio
This has been my life for the last month and a half.