Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oh, The Mortality.

There's nothing like driving past a corpse on the freeway at rush hour to prime an appetite. Some poor soul got hit in the center divider on the 210 in Lakeview Terrace on the westbound side and ended up on the eastbound side. The Santa Anas were blowing so the white cloth wasn't staying on. I never expected to see the guy with such a serene expression and he wasn't as pale as I thought he would have been considering the back of his head was as flat as a raw egg cracked onto a counter. It was well past gloaming time so the stream of blood looked like oil trying to make its way into the fast lane. CSI is graphic and fairly realistic but its not the same.
I was about twelve when I last saw a traffic fatality and my reaction to both scenes was about the same- indifference. I grew up in SoCal and started driving motorized things at ten, cars at twelve. I've seen some incredibly stupid things happen on the road and faced my own mortality behind the wheel a handful of times. I'm so jaded when it comes to driving I feel like the Sam Spade of the highway. It's only when something like this occurs that I am reminded of smug driving habits.

No comments:

Studio

Studio
This has been my life for the last month and a half.